An authentic Bailey bridge for the museum
In October 2021, after numerous renovation operations and a day of assembly, the Bailey bridge was reassembled. Three complete sections, nine meters long, it is a beautiful work which is installed a few months later in an outdoor stage of the museum accessible free of charge to visitors.
We warmly thank all the members of the Association “Les Amis du Pont Bailey” for making this available to the Normandy Victory Museum.
The installation in pictures
But what is a “Bailey Bridge”?
Invented and patented in 1941 by the English engineer Donald Bailey, the bridge of the same name will be deployed on the operational grounds from November 1942 and will prove to be a major asset in the advance of the Allied troops, in particular thanks to its principle of simple assembly and not necessarily requiring mechanical strength (the heaviest element can be carried by only six men). Very used in Normandy and essential to the breakthrough of the Cotentin, it is a formidable vestige of the battle. General Eisenhower considered the Bailey Bridge to be one of the three revolutionary weapons of the conflict, along with radar and the heavy bomber. The engineer Bailey was knighted by the British crown, in recognition of his decisive invention.